[CAUT] tight balancier

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Nov 13 11:29:07 MST 2006

On Nov 11, 2006, at 3:40 PM, Willem Blees wrote:

> So far, as far as I can tell, the only solution to the bobbling
> problem
> is the balancier pinning.
>
> Wim

Wim,
How high is checking when the hammers will check?  If you can't get
high checking, it could be a geometry problem caused by hammers that
are too short or backchecks that are too low.  The deeper the knuckle
has to press the rep. lever to get the hammer to check, the stronger
the spring gets.  If the hammers have been filed more than once or
twice, that could be your problem.  Several of the newer (1994)
Steinways we have wouldn't check very high after only one filing just
to the string grooves.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina