[CAUT] Estonia evaluation

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Nov 15 19:58:40 MST 2006

On 11/15/06 5:46 PM, "Marcel Carey" <mcpiano at videotron.ca> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a customer that wants to give away her 9' Estonia to the
> university in Sherbrooke. Of course, she wants an evaluation to get some
> money back from the income tax people. I've been servicing her piano for
> a few years and it's not one of my favorite to say the least. I also
> service the pianos at the university and as I'm writing this I'm
> thinking maybe I'm in a conflicting situation.
>
> Anyway, I was just wondering if any of you knew the retail price of an
> Estonia 9' so I can get a feel for the appraisal I might make on next
> Monday. If any of you have seen or heard of one used one for sale could
> you give me an idea of the condition and asking price.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcel
>
> Marcel Carey
> 2852 Albéric-Dussault
> Sherbrooke  QC
> J1N 2V6
> (819) 564-0447
> mcpiano at videotron.ca

Hi Marcel,
   $71,000 US manufacturer's list, 2004/05 Larry Fine Supplement. My
university won't let me appraise pianos donated to it, and our Internal
Revenue Service won't accept an appraisal from an "interested party" which
includes an employee of the institution accepting a donation. If I choose to
get around this, I have a colleague do the appraisal, me providing the basic
info to him. I tend to do that for my own customers, decline for anything
else.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico