[CAUT] Duplex scale noise, piano rebuilding

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Mon Nov 20 10:09:20 MST 2006

Hey Ric, Bill,

Chris Fingers, in Denver, made a statement about rebuilding that has
stuck with me. He said his rebuilt pianos cost MORE than a new piano
because if they just want a new B (for instance) they should go buy one.
But if they want something more, that Steinway can't offer, then that's
where his pianos come into the market. (Redesigned bridge, board, MOI
touch weighted, etc.)

Ron made the unfortunate (but true) comment that rebuilders take these
older pianos and make them shine for LESS than the cost of new... (w/o
proper compensation).  Maybe Chris Fingers has a lesson for us. Somehow
his shop is doing well.

Then there are guys like David Hughes who made a comment about his
"restorations" which bears repeating. "We rebuild them to the specs that
Steinway meant to use but didn't..."

With today's need for more and more money as quickly as possible it
seems like less people are becoming true craftsman in any trade. Here in
Utah there are only two "rebuilders", Rick Baldassin and Vince Mrykalo,
but tons of "tooners" entering the business. As for me... I just want to
be like Ron and Vince when I grow up :-)

Jim Busby BYU