[CAUT] Duplex angle

Alan McCoy amccoy at mail.ewu.edu
Mon Nov 20 12:50:51 MST 2006

Hi Ric,

Sorry for the delay. Just got back to school to check my messages.

I agree that we are finally speaking the same language. Thanks for sticking
with me on these posts. Your last post was very clearly written and made
good sense to me. I hadn't though much about the relationship between
speaking length and front length but it does offer an avenue for exploring
why some longer lengths are "excited" while neighboring long lengths are
not.

Regarding the why some are excited (thus "noisy") I think it is mostly that
longer lengths (not so much shallow angles) are more susceptible to giving
off higher amplitude harmonics. Now though, I'll have to toss in the above
relationship to the analysis. BTW, I spent an hour this weekend rereading
Del's articles from June and August 1995 on this issue. Worth reading if you
haven't done so. He did do some experimenting back while at Baldwin.

I have McMorrow's book. Thanks for the suggestion.

As far as voicing goes, if the voicing is otherwise smooth from note to note
and yet a front length is still sticking out, then IMO voicing the hammer is
not the treatment of choice.

Thanks again Ric. A great opportunity to clarify some of my thinking on this
issue.

Alan