[CAUT] squeak

Leslie Fitzpatrick lesfitz at cox.net
Tue Nov 21 16:53:39 MST 2006

thanks guys I'll try that.

Les Fitzpatrick
<http://www.fitzsupershop.com

Piano Technician
ham call sign K5FPT
  -----Original Message-----
  From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org]On Behalf Of Mark Cramer
  Sent: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:12 PM
  To: College and University Technicians
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] squeak

  You probably won't like the effects of graphite on light pants, so you might want to carefully clean it off the key bed. (other
than a bit at the glides)

  The other keyframe contact areas are the dags at the back, the spring, the end-pins and the shift lever.

  Try pump the pedal very slowly and see if the squeak gets louder... it's often the spring. Does it sound like a shiny metal
against shiny varnish  type of squeak? Try cleaning it and coating with dry teflon spray, then lightly sand the wooden side of the
keyframe with fine paper and work some teflon powder in.

  For end-pins I really like that clear synthetic grease Pianotek sells.

  The other two areas are least likely to sqeak, in my experience anyhow.

  good luck,
  Mark Cramer,
  Brandon University