[CAUT] squeak

Mark Ultsch multsch at jvlnet.com
Tue Nov 21 22:43:03 MST 2006

I had a similar situation with  an Estonia L190 -- I think it is 6'-4" or 6'-8"-- serial no. 6347.  I think it was manufacturered 3 years ago.  All the aforementioned diagnostics/fixes were tried.    The problem was isolated to be above the lyre and trapwork.

I also cleaned (even used a bit of naptha and Flitz) and polished the action shift spring and lubed it and the key frame with teflon.  It helped a lot, but the problem was still vaguely there, and grew back in just a couple of weeks.

Another tech (three of us spent hours each going over this piano) removed the action shift spring and gingerly (stomped on it) reduced it's spring rate.  That again helped temporarily but the problem returned.  Eventually, the  owner was given a  good deal on a new Estonia by the dealer.

I know this history isn't helping you solve the problem, but I'm wondering if the problem (in my case) is more complex than simply one problem.  Could bad lubricant have gotten burnished into the key frame wood to cause the spring  to squeek?  In my case, the squeek became worse after continued use of the pedal.

Do you have indentations on the treble side of the keyframe made from a "heavy" action shift spring?
Could it be that a glide bold is loose and is shifting in the key frame?

I'd really like to know what you discover on this one, Les.

73's!

Mark Ultsch, RPT