[CAUT] Relative Humidity

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Nov 28 12:11:56 MST 2006

Hi Ric and all,

Well, I showed these pictures to our head piano professor who immediately
informed the Director of Music here.  He has been petitioning the powers
that be, but I think this evidence has put a fire under his rear end.
Let's hope I don't need to call hasmat!
Meanwhile, I'll try at least to put in a DC. It has a pretty long, thick
cover.  Anything will help if even only a small bit....  There won't be
any complaints about cords hanging about, but I will have to train people
to leave it plugged in.

When I have breaking news, I'll let you know....film at 11

Paul

RicB <ricb at pianostemmer.no>
Sent by: caut-bounces at ptg.org
11/28/2006 12:19 PM
Please respond to
College and University Technicians <caut at ptg.org>

caut at ptg.org
cc

Subject
[CAUT]  Relative Humidity

I agree Jim.  Like I said at the outset. There is no way a DC system is
going to help significantly given these kinds of conditions.  For
crimminy sakes... theres a storm front in the room !  The pics are
amazing.  Really, this should be shown to health, fire and safety
officials.  Thats one heck of a lot of amperes buzzing away up there in
that wet fog.... no way that can be safe.  What kind of yahoo in charge
doesnt see the major type mismalfunctionary problem and order a fix ?
This goes way beyond whats good for the pianos me thinks.

Cheers
RicB

    I saw the data logger charts and the pictures.  Conditions like that
are
    unacceptable, and sometimes you just have to say so.  Whether the HVAC
    system is old or new, if the relative humidity makes wild rapid
    swings and
    sometimes there is fog and condensate in the room, something is
    badly wrong
    and needs to be fixed.  What is it doing now that cold weather is on
the
    way?  I wish you well in getting the point across to the right people.

    Jim Ellis