[CAUT] assistant position

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Wed Nov 29 13:35:25 MST 2006

Don

I want to add another argument. The assistant is going to cost the
university in the neighborhood of $50 - $60,000. (not all in salary,
but includes health insurance, taxes, etc.). For that they can buy one
or two new pianos every year. (Or one new D every two years). But
instead of buying two new pianos every year, for the same amount of
money we can resurrect 5 or 6 pianos every year.

Wim

Quoting Donald McKechnie <dmckech at ithaca.edu>:

> All,
>
> I have been charged with the task of showing how adding an assistant
>
> piano tech position here at IC would save the college money. Over the
>
> last 6 years I have presented all sorts of information to show how
> this addition to staff is necessary. While the information is taken
>
> in as all well and good, the bottom line for this administration is
>
> saving money. (Yes, it is a big political game too but I am the minor
>
> player. I have to rely on the deans to play the big game as I cannot
>
> get my foot in any further. They simply won't let me in.) All this
> means is that I must give the deans the best argument possible.
>
> In essence, the information I have given in the past (Guidelines,
> etc.) is considered qualitative. This administration wants to see a
>
> quantitative argument. In other words, "Show Me the Money Savings!"
>
> At this point I have come up with zip in the way of a good argument.
>
> Has anyone out there used a dollars and cents approach that helped or
>
> actually worked in your favor?
>
> I have managed to come up with words that dance around the basic
> argument requested. Getting to the actual dollars saved still eludes
>
> me. The only approach so far has been to look at the inventory in
> terms of years of service. The longevity of the piano in the
> inventory is increased if the piano is maintained regularly. (Meaning
>
> reconditioning of some sort and regular repairs.) This is easy enough
>
> for the administration to understand but unless I can get my head to
>
> wrap around how dollars fit into this tact, I'm afraid it just as
> useless as my other arguments. Of course a regular replacement
> program is still needed and that is something a have a better handle
>
> on. Any help with the savings?
>
> Thanks,
> Don
>
> Don McKechnie