[CAUT] caut Digest, Vol 1090, Issue 3

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Sep 18 13:34:30 MDT 2006

Hi List,

Some of my greenish hue is starting to wear off on being a CAUT, but on
budget matters with piano faculty, in particular, I shine brighter that
the emerald city!!  We have 105 keyboard instruments here at the
university, one of them being a Belt forte-piano about 25 years old.  The
professor who plays it primarily is demanding a major rehabilitation to it
which will require some outside help with my assisting this outside
expert.  The estimated cost of bringing this "expert" in will take over
28% of my yearly budget.  The instrument is used in concert 6-8 times per
year as compared to our 3 Steinway D's, 1 concert Baldwin and 3 Steinway
B's which are used constantly.

Some of the other faculty are up in arms about using the piano budget and
insist that this is a "special project" and should use "special funds"
like grants and the like.  Of course I agree strongly both ways!  It is a
university instrument, so it should use university funds.  On the other
hand it is used so infrequently, that I can't see using a huge slice of my
pie.  On the third hand, one of my responsibilities is to see to it that
all instruments are happy.

Having such a limited budget as I do, if I had to replace a good quality
grand, (not even concert level), I would be spending far more than one
year's budget, leaving all other instruments on hold until next year
whatever the need may be.INCLUDING the concert instruments.
So I ask for a bit of seasoned advise from you all.  How have you handled
such delemmas? Thanks for your help.

Here I am, stuck in the middle with you.....

Paul T. Williams RPT
University of Nebraska-Lincoln