[CAUT] Experiment Success - second thought

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 5 19:19:32 MDT 2007

New hammers have resilient shoulders.  The flexible shoulders help to produce a spectrum of timbres.

Worn hammers like you describe don't really have any "springs" left. You can soften the surface to produce a less bright tone, and that's about all you can do.

Spray with alcohol and water.

File to make them as round as you can.

Needle from the side, close to the surface to open a top layer of felt.

Brush gently with a wire brush.

Ed Sutton