[CAUT] seiler pedal

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Apr 19 05:09:35 MDT 2007

Or the pelican spring is cracked!

dp

David M. Porritt

dporritt at smu.edu

________________________________

From: caut-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces at ptg.org] On Behalf Of
David Ilvedson
Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:19 AM
To: caut at ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] seiler pedal

I have a customer with a Seiler Studio, about 3 years old.   The sustain
pedal adjustment nut has to be turned up to the point the dampers barely
raise or the dampers are held off the strings.   The problem comes from
pedal lever is flexing or (probably) the pelican spring is pushing down
or giving too much.   Movement at the pedal side of the lever hardly
moves the other end of the lever with the dowel.   Lever is square metal
stock [] except  on its side instead of an i-beam configuration.   The
spring is welded to the lever.   The owner is going to email Seiler.
The nearly exact configuration works perfectly with the soft pedal and
the mute pedal.   Those levers are shorter though.   The sustain lever
also doesn't seem to be in as perfect alignment with the dowel as it
could be.   I think it is slightly tipped also...

As I think through it, I'm wondering if the pelican spring is in the
spot on the lever.   Where that should be I don't know...Maybe the
pelican spring is not strong enough to resist the pedal movement?

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA 94044