[CAUT] Hardness of termination vs string breakage (was Re: restrung D)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Apr 19 11:24:09 MDT 2007

On Apr 19, 2007, at 1:00 AM, RicB wrote:

> I mean... why would we have any use for super hard abrasives like
> diamond files or any such thing unless the basic idea that harder
> vs softer results in softer loosing ?

	Hard beats soft if it is an abrasive, meaning it has sharp edges as
opposed to being polished. If both are polished surfaces, hard will
win, but much more slowly (bridge pins don't wear through, they just
get a very slight wear profile). It is also true if you are hammering
one object against another, the softer will be dented more, but that
doesn't enter into this scenario.
	If the hardness is fairly even (as in the case with music wire and,
perhaps, a titanium bridge pin - I don't know how different they are,
but guess probably not too much), and both are polished, there is
likely to be very little wear to either. At any rate, I am quite
skeptical that it would be significant, enough to cause increased
string breakage. If the pins were rough and impregnated with diamond
dust, that would be a different story <G>.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu