[CAUT] More on the pitch change theme

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Apr 26 16:28:47 MDT 2007

Hi folks

I've gotten quite a ways done with my spreadsheet for figuring in the
effect of changes in vertical deflections of strings either by the
soundboard rise or by the bridge pushing the strings up the pins and
find some obvious results that dont match what we observe.

If the climate causes a growth of the bridge surface resulting in a 1 mm
push upwards on the  pins of the strings... then the result will be a
uniform and graduated increase in pitch proportional to the speaking
length.  Nearly no effect on long strings... and a whale of a lot of
affect on short strings.  No breaks in the graduation would be evident
as the resulting change in the length of the string segment on the
bridge surface itself would dominate the picture.  So this doesnt add up
by itself.

more later

RicB