[CAUT] Wire Stretch, was Hardness of termination vs string breakage

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Thu Apr 26 17:17:42 MDT 2007

On 4/26/07 4:14 PM, "Jeff Tanner" <jtanner at mozart.sc.edu> wrote:

> If plain wire does not stretch as much as we traditionally give it credit, how
> would one explain the great difference in pitch change from wrapped wire to
> plain wire as changes in humidity affect tension change?  Not just crossing
> from bass into low tenor, but it is just as much present when the first few
> strings of the low tenor are wrapped.
>

> Jeff

Hi Jeff,
    Wrapped strings are much closer to breaking point/higher tension than
the neighbor plain wires. The lower tension wires take much less change in
any factor (length, deflection, tension) to produce a given pitch change
than the higher tension wires. Think about how much turn on the tuning pin
it takes to raise that lowest plain wire 25 cents, compared to what it takes
to raise the top wrapped string the same amount. Think about the same
comparison when you are first chipping to pitch. Crank and crank on those
wrapped strings, where a single yank gets the plain ones to pitch and past.
     There are other ways of saying all this, which are probably more
scientifically accurate, but this is the basic reason for that large pitch
change in the lowest plain wires compared to wrapped, whatever might be
happening in terms of SB rising, bridge growing, bridge lengthening, overall
case expanding, etc. At least, this makes sense to me, and others seem to
agree.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico