[CAUT] Wire Stretch

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 30 11:31:45 MDT 2007

Hi Chris

No, I don't do that, because it gets far too complicated to predict
soundboard response to the new amount of down bearing.

What I do is simply see what happens to tension and frequency of strings
if the soundboard and or bridge changes the deflection of the string a
given amount.   Sort of the opposite perspective as the one you querry
about if you will.  If we are dealing with non zero deflections all the
time, then Hooks law doesn't need to be used according to Galembo and
one can use the last formula given in his paper.

Doing what you ask about would be quite complicated me thinks, and would
require lots of information about a given soundboard to calculate.

Cheers
RicB

    Ric,
    When you make the calculation of frequency change due to change in
    deflection, are you also factoring in the resiliance of the
    soundboard?  If a piano is strung and up to pitch, and you change
    the downbearing, would you not also be changing the load on the
    soundboard?  Example:  You reduce the downbearing and the soundboard
    moves up slightly under less load.   I may be off base, as I don't
    know how much the downward load alone on the soundboard affects
    frequency, assuming the downbearing angle the same.
    I would appreciate your thoughts on this,
    Respectfully,
    Chris R.  www.Key-Leveling.com