[CAUT] Wire Stretch

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Apr 30 17:29:32 MDT 2007

This all makes quite a bit of sense given the fact that a change in the
hight of the string relative to the bridge pins effects the offset angle
the string takes through the bridge pin enough to cause a significant
difference in its length. Significant in the sense that said change in
length in this string segment can and does have a significant effect on
string pitch and likewise string tension.  What is problematic about
this is that any such change in string position height to the bridge pin
is governed by the response of the surface of the bridge to climatic
changes, and hence quite uniform... which in turn dictates a pitch
change that is directly related to the length of the string. Shorter
strings will be more effected then longer strings... hence a very
graduated and even curve of change in pitch.... which clearly does not
happen. We see big breaks where the bridge is doglegged which need to be
accounted for amoung other things.

Still... there is something to this that makes a good deal of sense.

RicB

    Hi Jeff,
        My intent, and I think Ron's, was that conforming to bearing
    points
    and wood crushing was possibly/likely the cause of much of that
    first, rapid pitch drop (after chip). I think elongation happens more
    over time, unless one does something to speed it along (like tune 100
    cents sharp, or vigorously work the string). And even then,
    additional elongation will continue to take place to some extent. I
    certainly didn't intend to imply that elongation doesn't happen.
        Like just about everything to do with pianos, there are a lot of
    factors involved, always. Focusing on one and ignoring others is a
    very common trap. And, of course, when writing about something we
    tend to focus on just that one thing. We _could_ always add a
    disclaimer "It's more complicated than that, actually" to everything
    we say or write <G>.

    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico