[CAUT] 1/4 tone piano conversion

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Mon Dec 3 09:49:21 MST 2007

Andrew,

I'm curious what the composer is really looking for - is this something
he has seen before, or is he doing it as an original project to be
played on one piano only? I've seen the microtonal piano (is it Seiler?)
at conventions, but it's designed from the ground up that way - no
conversion possible.

If he really is asking for 1/2 steps to be changed to 1/4 steps, that
really isn't possible, as Ron said.  You could just shove the pitch down
for the treble, but it would sound awful, as the tension would be so
crazy low for the string lengths.  In the bass, though, you would have
to raise the pitch way high and would likely start to break strings in
octave 3 - octaves 0 and 1 wouldn't be close to workable.  A redesign
down there would be tough - but might be able to be accomplished with a
new soundboard and bridges.

However, if he is after a 1/4 tone piano duet arrangement, that is
simpler.  This is what the Charles Ives pieces are written for - 2
pianos tuned 1/4 tone apart.  Much easier all around!

I would ask him if he has ever seen a piano set up this way, and if
there is someone he knows to consult with about that instrument.  Bring
up the duet arrangement just in case he isn't familiar with that idea
(although I'm pretty sure he will be).

Don Mannino