[CAUT] 1/4 tone piano conversion

DenisIkeler at aol.com DenisIkeler at aol.com
Tue Dec 4 06:15:33 MST 2007

In a message dated 12/3/2007 10:35:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
andrew at andersonmusic.com writes:

Caut  Listmembers,
I have a request from the composer in residence here to  convert a
Baldwin upright school-piano (late 70s early 80s vintage) into a
quarter-tone piano.  He suggested keeping C4 at standard pitch.   I
explained the need for rescaling and he still really wants the entire
piano permanently converted.

Has anyone done this?  Are there  string-scale people out there
willing to take re-scaling this on?   Has anyone programmed an ETD to
do this (sorry I only do ET & WT(s)  aurally).  I have a Verituner;
has anyone programmed it for 1/4 tone  tunings?

Andrew C. Anderson
for Laredo Community  College

I happen to own a Yamaha S90-ES music synth.  In it's utility mode you  can
set it to quarter tones. The piano patch is a sample of their S7 (I  think
that's what they call it).  It is a very expensive piano to  purchase.
The piano sample really is outstanding.  They have sampled 3 different
volume levels per key and also has a feature to simulate the open strings when
pedal is depressed.  It also has a half pedaling feature.

At a retail cost of about 2600.00 I purchased one at a Guitar Center for
1900.00.  Certainly cheaper than trying to convert a real piano.

Denis Ikeler