[CAUT] 1/4 tone piano conversion

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Tue Dec 4 09:13:49 MST 2007

Mr. Crane hit the nail on the head.
I outlined the affordable ways to accomplish this, two pianos tuned a
1/4 step apart and synthesizers and then encouraged him to look into
writing grants.

We just had DUO46 over and much of their repertoire was bankrolled by
various foundations interested in new music.  I pointed this out to
him and as he is a composer with reputation in his and his family's
name, he should be able to draw grant money for instruments on the
commitment to expand the repertoire for them.

I spoke with the North American representative for Sauter, Basilios
Strmec, and he basically said the same thing.  There is support for
these academic forays available.  Sauter would build a 1/4 tone piano
again for a committed customer.  It would involve dusting off the old
plans and updating them but they do take these kinds of projects on.

I should clarify that Dr. Gorecki is a professor here (composer in
residence is more of a communal acknowledgement then a title) and has
put down roots in the community that suggest he will be here for a while.

Andrew Anderson