[CAUT] Lack of low-frequency response

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Dec 10 14:40:34 MST 2007

Richard and all,

This is the line I was waiting for someone to contribute, and uncle
Jim was the one who did it. Thanks Jim.

>. . . We try to make the board stiffer in the middle and more
>flexible around the edges so it will vibrate as a unit at low frequencies
>instead of breaking up into standing waves. . . .
>Jim Ellis

Several commentators have said that they believe the board is too
stiff. But the further qualification which we need to answer is, ". .
. too stiff where", which may lead us to conclude that the soundboard
might not be stiff enough. I've looked at images of the piano around
which this topic is focused, and to me it looks like the board very
likely has insufficient stiffness in the middle area of the panel to
act as an effective low frequency driver.

Now some might say, why then did the original maker build the
soundboard with these dimensions? Well this design probably was
originally built as a compression crowned panel. So it would have
somewhat-worked for a time. I say somewhat worked, because I believe
that almost everything I've seen which was built between 1860 and
1880 had grossly insufficient panel stiffness when compared to some
of the more effective later designs (its always easy to be wise in
hindsight). Again, some will claim that these older boards have lost
their stiffness with time. Yes they will have. But if you build a
replacement panel for instruments of this period, using the same
physical dimensions, they will exhibit a quite similar tonal quality,
in spite of the fact that the soundboard is new. I believe it comes
down to insufficient belly stiffness. Sure the rim weight/stiffness
will play a part also, but the soundboard design along with the
choice of hammer will be, above all else, the two principle factors
which determine the overall tonal outcome.

When thinking about the desired physical characteristics of a sound
board assembly, remember that while the very best low frequency
speakers have a flexible perimeter region, the cone itself is
reinforced to increase stiffness and reduce standing waves. Watching
standing wave patterns form on a driven panel might look very
interesting, but the propensity of the panel in itself to form
standing waves is not helpful. We really should be trying to reduce
them. I believe an effective design can help to minimise their
influence over the tonal outcome. Considering where to make a board
stiff and where to make it flexible, would seem to be a major
priority.

Much of the sound board tone building equation comes down to a
relationship between area/stiffness/mass per unit area. I don't know
of anyone who has a magic formula for determining how much of what is
desirable, but there are answers out there in waiting as the 'circle
gets smaller'.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY