[CAUT] becoming an all Steinway School

Bdshull at aol.com Bdshull at aol.com
Tue Dec 11 02:24:48 MST 2007

In a message dated 12/10/2007 2:05:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
jim_busby at byu.edu writes:

Anyone  remember the foreign woman who stood up and blasted the Steinway guy
in  Kansas City at  the piano maker's showcase?

Helga Kasimoff has been the Bluthner dealer in the LA area for nearly 50
years.  I first visited the Kasimoff Bluthner/Neupert store in Pasadena  when I
was 17 (that would have been about 1972), when she and her husband Bill
were...younger than I am now!
They emigrated to America in the 1950s, I believe.  Many in southern
California remember Bill with affection;  Bill's been gone for several  years, and
their son Kyril is actively involved in the business now.  The  Kasimoffs can
never be accused of lack of courage...their store has had  anti-Bush and
anti-Iraq war signs on it for years, and even though their local  demographic might
be amenable to this, I'm sure they lose business over it,  too.   Helga and
Kyril actively attend PTG conventions, and usually  always follow up and attend
the AMIS (American Musical Instrument Society)  annual conference shortly
afterwards....a serious commitment of time  and expense which I've never quite been
able to pull off,  myself.

As much as I love the Steinway piano, I myself have coordinated a seminar  on
brand name pluralism in college piano inventories (California State
Conference 2005).   The earlier that young pianists can be exposed to  the incredible
variety of great modern pianos - as well as the rich variety of  historical
instruments, both replica and restored original, the more likelihood  of greater
musical discovery, broadened musical insight and understanding.

But as I worked on the idea of pluralism in schools, I realized that many
great piano companies do not produce the volume of pianos needed to supply the
numbers needed in institutions.   I'd love to see large numbers of  Mason and
Hamlin pianos in schools, and there isn't a better institutional  vertical
than their model 50 - but their production output won't support the  demands of
institutional sales.  I wish Sauter, Seiler, Forster, Bluthner,  Bechstein,
Bosendorfer and Schimmel could be better represented in schools, but  these
companies also have fairly low-volume production.  Kawai and  Yamaha have worked
hard on this recently, and are in a better position to  compete for
institutional work...and if they can they'll try to be  "all......schools" too.  I know of
one rapidly growing school in southern  California that has recently become
an all-Kawai school.

Further, the European companies have had difficulty maintaining consistent
marketing, dealerships and distributorships in the US.   I've  suggested to
some European mfg US sales reps that they team up to develop a  joint
institutional sales and service program in the US, but that's a  complicated, thorny
idea.   If they ever succeeded with this idea,  though, it would be incredible.

You've got to credit Steinway for their success supplying a  product capable
of meeting institutional orders, in creatively sustaining their  image in
various ways, and in having an able institutional sales program.   I'm not going
to complain that my college just purchased a D and a B....and I'll  also
continue to encourage them to include distinctively different instruments  of high
quality in their inventory, too.  Whatever the fundraising or  marketing value
of single-brand institutional inventories, I believe that  fundamentally
students benefit most with an exposure to a variety of piano brand  experiences.
But that's not always a luxury schools think they can  afford....or are willing
to wrap their institutional brains around....

Bill Shull, RPT
La Sierra University, Riverside, CA