[CAUT] Lessons from shoulder surgery

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Tue Dec 18 21:45:23 MST 2007

Hi Jim,

Glad to hear you are doing well. The drugs are indeed something to be
avoided if at all possible. Makes me too loopy! How do I know, this
past summer I had my left shoulder done. Four years ago it was the
right. The first one was done through an ortho group I was none too
pleased with. Anyone looking at this surgery needs to do their
homework and make sure the best possible surgeon is selected. If you
can find one that specializes in just shoulders you will most likely
do well. I won't go into details of my experiences but please take my
word on this.

My surgeon this year told me that there are basically two types of
rotator cuff problems. One just needs proper therapy, the other
requires surgery. Your obviously need the surgery. It sounded a lot
like my first one. Anyone looking at shoulder problems needs to make
sure which type they have.

This is all very interesting because up to now I have not heard of
any other techs having this problem. I wonder how prevalent it might
be? Anyway, do not let up on your therapy. Don't ask me how I know. :-)

Don

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician
Ithaca College