[CAUT] Killer Octave... so what ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 20 13:52:20 MST 2007

Hi Folks.

This past few weeks I've had the most interesting experience in conexion
with a recording session at Edvard Grieg's home.  I'm not quite sure
what to make of it really... so I will put it forward to you all for
comment / edification.

The old B at his house has been tuned at 442 for the last 25 years or
so... and has a very pronounced killer octave syndrom... and in general
is sounds <<old>>.  Since it is Grieg's piano everyone of course accepts
it for what it is and finds positives to say about it. Tuning it to 436
has changed the character of the instrument dramatically... and not just
because of the slower tempo of all beating intervals.  The killer octave
has all but dissapeared, the grumsy bass got a lot cleaner and the
general eveness and roundness of tone improved tremendously.  The
regular pianists that play on this thing are split down the middle as to
whether the change is positive or not. One says the piano hasnt sounded
so good in 20 years or so.  Another on the far side of the discussion
here says the piano sounds just sour and false... and oddly enough...
oldish.

What is curious about all this is that those who liked the piano at 442
better all site a common reason... it had more brilliance in the mid to
high treble.  The other reason they site is that the piano had more
<<character>>  (to be read as "uniqueness" I suppose) .

Two things come to mind as an explanation... because as a piano in its
own right it undoubtedly sounds overall far superior now then before if
usual norms are laid to ground as criteria for judgment.  The first is
that perhaps there are many pianists and appreciators of piano music
that actually like the kind of sound picture the killer octave syndrom
creates.  If one looks at music and compares this to demands made by
some for very long sustain in the treble... one finds really that most
pianos of today have quite a bit more sustain in the treble area then is
strictly demanded.  One can extrapolate that from at least 1850
backwards a percussive and short sustain top was part of the tonal
pallet of most composers... which takes one off in a lot of directions.
But most significantly kind of shoot gigantic canyons in criticisms of
pianos that develop this kind of tonal picture.  The failure so far of
innovative instruments with very very long sustain times in this region
may be partly explained then that the majority of the ears out there
simply dont want that kind of sound.  Speculation all of this to be sure.

The other explanation perhaps is a bit more predictable. This is Griegs
piano.... it is SUPPOSED to sound old... <<historic>>.  If it actually
sounds wonderful in a modern sense of the word... then it looses its
charm and become anonymous

There is a whole bunch more thats interesting tho... One thing that has
been revealed to me is that people with very high degrees of pitch
sensitivity are in effect handicapped with respect to being able to
appreciate any real variety of tonal color.  This goes way beyond HT /
ET discussions... one simply can not accept any different basic key
coloring then what ones memorized pitch sensitivity allows for.  Highly
sensitive European 442 ears would have trouble accepting 440... and
reverse I suppose. That in itself opens a huge area for discussion.

Tough to get folks to step out of their molds and approach the subject
matter from an objective dispassionate angle for discussion... but
fascinating non the less

Cheers
RicB