[CAUT] Killer Octave... so what ?

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 21 00:21:48 MST 2007

Hi Susan

I'm very glad you asked... its really a cool story... the whole thing
surrounding this instrument and its history these past 50 years or so...
No doubt before as well. One could probably write a book about the whole
thing. But as to your specific question.  The mp3 I posted a link to was
recorded in January 2007 and the instrument was at 442. The instrument
had its soundboard replaced in the 60's by the Hamburg factory... and
unfortunately due to a problem during a renovation of the house some
years later it was exposed to some pretty severe climatic conditions,
which perhaps account for the severity of it killer octave syndrom. The
general climate in western Norway is quite kind to instruments really...
ranging typically from 30 % to 70 % through out the year.

The piano was built in 1892. It was a gift to him and his wife Nina for
their silver anniversary.

The link below, second CD description from the top provides a short
description of the CD.

http://www.simax.no/

        At 12:52 PM 12/20/2007, Ric wrote:
         >This past few weeks I've had the most interesting experience in
         >conexion with a recording session at Edvard Grieg's home.  I'm
        not
         >quite sure what to make of it really... so I will put it
        forward to
         >you all for comment / edification.
         >
         >The old B at his house has been tuned at 442 for the last 25
        years
         >or so... and has a very pronounced killer octave syndrom...
        and in
         >general is sounds <<old>>.

    Hi, Ric

    This is very interesting about Edvard Grieg's piano, and the mp3 you
    sent yesterday, which I really enjoyed.

    Can you tell me, please, which pitch was the piano at for the
    recording you sent? And what year was this piano made?

    Thanks.

Susan