[CAUT] aches and pains

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Fri Dec 21 09:07:48 MST 2007

While we are on the topic of aches and pains, here is one I have not
heard about among piano technicians. Just wondering if any of you
have experienced this? We are fairly familiar with carpal tunnel
problems in our ranks but I have not heard about ulnar nerve
problems. Take a look at this diagram of the two primary nerves that
go through the wrist:

http://www.eorthopod.com/images/ContentImages/hand/hand_guyon_canal/
hand_guyon_canal_anat01.jpg

About a year ago I started to experience pain in both wrists,
numbness in the little finger and the next, with occasional shooting
pain up the arm. A visit to a neurologist confirmed ulnar nerve
inflammation. (Nasty little test involving needles being stuck into
your hands and arms but really cool to actually hear your nerves
firing away and seeing a graph of it on the computer.) The best part
of all this was the cure. Wear bicycle gloves when tuning! I'm a
lefty but I switch back and forth on a grand as some described in the
shoulder posts. A trip to a local bike shop produced these gloves:

http://www.shopatron.com/product/
part_number=1481034/444.0.17246.22482.19762.0.0

I like these as they have good padding and are easy to put on and
take off. Also, the knit back helps to keep the hand cool. Since I
have been wearing these I have been pain free. I believe they will
help with carpal tunnel problems too.

Don

Don McKechnie
Piano Technician