[CAUT] IRS/Census category #

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Dec 29 12:15:07 MST 2007

Hi All,
    Occasionally there has been a thread asking what number to enter on our
tax forms. I think it has been pretty well discussed into the ground, but I
have recently received something that should lay it to rest for good. I was
"lucky" enough to be selected to do a 2007 Economic Census Form under the
category of Repair and Maintenance Services. Within this form is a listing
of various categories, one of which is, amazingly enough, "Musical
Instrument repair and maintenance, including tuning services." Hey, they
know we exist, and give us our own category! Wow!
    The number for this category is 811490904. On tax forms (Schedule C),
only the first six digits are used, or 811490, which, interestingly enough,
includes
Jewelry, watch and clock repair;
Garment alteration or repair service;
Key duplicating;
Motorcycle and other personal motorized transportation equipment repair,
including ATV, snowmobile, personal watercraft, etc;
Bicycle repair;
Boat repair and maintenance; and
Personal exercise and athletic equipment repair.
    In fact, we share all but the very last digit with motorcycles,
bicycles, keys, and exercise equipment.
    I found this quite amusing, so thought I'd share it. What were they
thinking? It's anyone's guess. The one that is really strange is having key
duplication mixed in with the rest. The others kind of make sense as being
pieces of equipment that are used, say, for "personal
amusement/entertainment/development" or something along those lines.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico