[CAUT] Church Heat

Tim Coates tcoates1 at sio.midco.net
Tue Jan 2 18:14:10 MST 2007

Jim,

Most of the churches I tune for keep the temp at 60 when not in use.
Organist friends of mine (two who work at the National Music Museum
((not as organists))) don't like the church buildings down to 50.  So,
I recommend 60 as the low.

I got a call back about 20 years ago from a minister friend when I had
tuned the piano cold.  It was out of tune when the heat was up (not
just his predetermination).  He had stopped by while I was tuning it
cold and asked if I wanted the heat up for the piano and I said "no"
because it wouldn't matter.  Well, it did.  When he called back about
the complaints he said "Do you want me to turn the heat up this time?".
  I have since started  asking the churches to use whatever heating
sequence they would use for Sunday before I tune.   The goal is to tune
at the same temp as it would be on Sunday (whatever that might be) when
it is used.  I haven't had any complaints since that one 20 years ago.

I had an interesting illustration of this about a month ago.  I was in
the middle of tuning a C3 in a church with the temp pre-sequenced for
the tuning time.  Unfortunately, I was about 20 minutes late for the
tuning due to unforeseen events and the program had been set to keep
the heat up for only an hour.  The heat went off and the temp started
dropping quickly.  It dropped by 4 degrees and the piano changed by as
much as 3 cents in some areas while I was doing a final pass in fine
tune mode.  The church secretary said "Just finish it up and don't
worry about it.  No one in the church will be able to tell the
difference."   I really am not sure how to interpret the last statement
<g>.   I like to think she was talking about their abilities to
differentiate  between an in-tune or out-of-tune piano versus my tuning
skills.

I understand about bringing it to room temp, but that's not my goal.  I
want it at "use" temp.

Just some thoughts.

Tim Coates