[CAUT] Counterproductive Tunings; was Church Heat

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Jan 3 16:03:10 MST 2007

On Jan 2, 2007, at 10:42 PM, Elwood Doss wrote:

> When the sanctuary piano is tuned, it's important to have the
> temperature of the sanctuary the same as it will be at the time of the
> worship service.

I'll ditto that for the school pianos.

To start Fall Semester, our Dean wanted us to double up our efforts,
hire a contract tuner to help and get all the pianos tuned before
classes started.  I've always thought bulk tunings in August and
January were counterproductive wastes of time and effort.  I told him
it would be a waste of $2000 for a contract tuner and my time as
well.  He said it wouldn't, but I still disagreed.  We're talking
about August in one of the hottest and most humid cities in the
South.  It doesn't make sense to me to waste all the effort to tune
110 or so pianos at 75+% humidity when a 15-20% drop and the follow-
up roller coaster ride is only a month or so away.  You get much more
mileage out of your effort if you wait until then to do the semi-
annual tunings and you don't spend all your time retuning instead of
getting other important work done.

Anyway, the HVAC had decided to just quit working on the 2nd and 3rd
floors sometime during the summer.  Now, nearly all of the faculty
studios and classrooms, which are practically impossible to get into
once classes start, are on those two floors.  Needless to say, it was
85 degrees on those two floors for the 3 weeks preceding the first
day of classes.  We had no way of knowing if or when the HVAC would
be working again, but we were gonna tune those 48 pianos or bust.

The day classes started the HVAC magically healed itself and the temp
dropped back to a normal 70 degrees.  Pianos that were tuned as late
as Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday showed no evidence a piano tuner had
ever been in the building by Thursday and fhe faculty and students
were complaining as if we had done nothing.

Wasted $2000 of taxpayer money and my time.  We would have been much
better off to have postponed those tunings until everything settled
down.  The pianos would have been in better shape left alone.

I could have been regulating faculty pianos or prepping the concert
pianos....

or refurbishing actions I don't otherwise have time to get to....

or on vacation with the family before the kids started back to
school....

Well, here it is January.  Aside from the last two days, it's been
like late May for the past couple of weeks.  I guess we're going to
have winter this year, but we're still waiting for it to get here.

We're doing bulk tunings again....

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina