[CAUT] huge pitch raise question

Michelle Stranges stranges at oswego.edu
Mon Jan 8 12:06:40 MST 2007

Hi folks-

Happy New Year!

:D

It happens more often than I'd like (and once is enough to be honest)
and while I "feel"  that it's not my lovely hammer technique ;)  ,
maybe it's something to do with some sort of "string thing"..

Has anyone else run across this?
(Or maybe a PTG article I have overlooked?)

Upon visiting a fairly new piano and finding it dreadfully flat (50
cents or more) , I carefully yet quickly, raise it up at least half
of what it was.
And I do have a (good?) habit of initially moving the pin in the flat
direction before moving it sharp in order to loosen any friction from
any rust or whatever that may have accumulated. Just a *quick* jerk
to the left- nothing serious at all.

Now.. having raised the piano up (with a second pass to at least get
it up to pitch) I start doing a "fine tuning".

it is either at this second pass or my fine tuning where strings
start to break.
In the usual places too- nothing out of the ordinary.

(Am I doing "too many tunings" (up to 3  times) to raise this
completely up? Seems like that wouldn't be an issue,  especially if
it's new(er)?
Have I introduced some sort of unusual friction/heat or something??

Now this doesn't happen all of the time, but I am acutely aware that
it could and I wonder if there's something in my technique or my
sequence of pitch raising that makes these newer strings break. (I
could understand some strings breaking if the piano was older..)

I know tuners who on the first go, bring the whole piano up tp pitch
but I've always been a little leary of that.
I'm wondering if they also have strings break on their second pass/
fine tuning..

I fully realize that they (the strings) are now at different spots on
all of the contact and termination points so I would assume that
would add to the puzzle.
And I'd like to also add that it seems that the tork alone on this
1/2 way-to-pitch, pitch raised piano feels MUCH higher than it did
before (and more than "normal") and I chalk that up to the higher
tension I have just introduced.

I am a jerk tuner.

(Stop laughing  :)

I would be VERY interested in viewing the number of passes you folks
do to bring a  piano up to pitch and whether or not you've
experienced this-especially on ones that aren't so old.

Hope this post reads OK- and I look forward to your responses!

:)
Michelle