[CAUT] huge pitch raise question

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Jan 8 17:59:26 MST 2007

Hi Michelle,
    I'm another fellow "jerk tuner," meaning jerks of many different
amplitudes (some as small as enough to move less than .5 cent). I do almost
all pitch raises (and lowers) in two passes, the first usually with an
overshoot, at this point usually with the standard RCT overshoot. Have been
doing that for 25 years. Pre-ETD I estimated beats of overshoot. For raises
of a lot more than 100 cents, my first pass is to pitch, second is a pretty
good tuning in pitch raise mode - occasionally a final tweaking pass, but
I'm not that finicky with 100 cent + tunings. I'd have to disagree with
those who say it takes a number of tunings to get to a stable point. I
usually get there the second time I go to the house after a really major
change, and often that first tuning holds quite well.
    I have not experienced what you describe, except in that there are
occasional unexpected strings that break. There is sometimes a feel of more
resistance than usual in a string about to break. And there seem to be
individual pianos that are just "unlucky." I doubt very much your technique
is causing this problem (and I'm guessing you've just been "unlucky" a few
times).
    I just plow ahead and pull up pitch. When a string breaks, I get more
careful. When two break, I start reconsidering (maybe reducing overshoot to
zero, maybe considering leaving the piano flat to some degree). But it
rarely happens that more than two strings break on one piano in one tuning,
in my own experience. However, I, like Alan McCoy, am blessed with non-rusty
string climate, though pianos do move here from all over.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico