[CAUT] concert stability (was huge pitch raise question)

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Tue Jan 9 09:35:34 MST 2007

Hi Les,

First the piano has to be "at pitch" before a concert tuning--NOT a pitch
correction situation. If there is less than 2 cents change on any note in
the piano it will be stable for the concert. If it ain't it won't be
stable. No matter how hard you pound it is still possible to "overcome" the
frictional elements. I oversaw two concert pianos--one with extremely tight
pins for many years. The other had marginal pins, but was the preferred
instrument. During concerts sometimes the pianist would cause a string to
go out of tune, enough for me to hear it from the audience--but at
intermission and/or after the concert I would check the piano--and it would
be back in tune.

Besides which, in concert situations, the heat from lighting causes more
instability than any other factor, next would be humidity changes (some
halls in northern climates bring in fresh air 15 minutes before the
concert). If it is winter time and the tuning is not completed finishing it
will not be pretty.

At 10:14 PM 1/8/2007 -0600, you wrote:

>Easy up on your pounding. Learn to tune at no more than MF with good
>stability. It will save your ears, your body, and many fewer strings will
>"pop".
>
>How to tune mf in a concert or heavy playing situation?
>les bartlett

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7
306-539-0716 or 1-888-29t-uner