[CAUT] TIP OF THE YEAR!

pnotnr at aol.com pnotnr at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 19:59:06 MST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: fssturm at unm.edu
To: caut at ptg.org
Sent: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: [CAUT] TIP OF THE YEAR!

On 1/1/07 2:58 PM, "kpiano" <kpiano at goldrush.com> wrote:

> Nor I, just trying to give and get a visual of the procedures. How do you
> solve the turning
> over of the stack constantly to check the work? The way I have done it you can
> travel a
> shank, check it refine it, do the next one. Of course I'm talking a whole new
> set of shanks,
> just installed.

Hi Keith,
    A late response: I do a section at a time rather than a shank at a time.
I rough in a section, marking all hammers of shanks that need to be traveled
"a good bit." I then set the stack upright, shim all those flanges, and
check. I make a variety of marks to show more or less how much shim to use
(longer, shorter, double line). Then I generally refine that section, and go
on and rough in the next one. I establish three or four levels on the tail
where I make marks, so I distinguish between passes, and know what I did
before. It's kind of like leveling keys: do all the keys that need over
0.010" punchings first, then refine progressively on subsequent passes. For
traveling, I usually find three passes is enough, sometimes four. I figure
at the university I'll be back at the piano again in a year or five (if it
is at all critical), and will re-refine it then. At which point two passes
will probably be enough, starting from a better initial condition.
    I'll note that as you take care of the worst, it becomes easier to judge
those that are closer. "Circles of refinement," as Mr. Mannino likes to say.
A great concept for all our work.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico