[CAUT] RE : huge pitch raise question

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Wed Jan 10 12:09:13 MST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 8:50 AM, Paul T Williams wrote:

>  It suprised me, too, that with as much profit these stores make
> off the pianos, they still refuse to have any of them properly
> prepped.  "just tune it and ship it!", was their motto.

Even more holds true for the Steinway dealer who isn't doing it
either.  That's the result of the Yamafication and Kawaization of the
piano sales industry, because I've always heard that up until the
Asian myths came along, every dealer had techs prepping pianos.  The
Chinese pianos I dealt with recently weren't even tuned.  I was told
they were supposed to have been but they couldn't possibly have
been.  And they were headed for public school music classrooms which
used them for 7 weeks in that condition before I was called to go
tune them.

>  Even more suprising was the frequency of customers requesting the
> piano be unboxed at their homes! (making sure they are not getting
> the "used" floor model, I guess).

Somebody isn't doing their job of educating the customer there.  Why
else would university loan program sales work?

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina