[CAUT] Tuning Hammer tip sizes, was Re: huge pitch raise question

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Jan 12 04:15:23 MST 2007

At 02:04 AM 1/12/2007, David Ilvedson wrote:
>#2 is a good all around tip...#3 is too big for me...imho
>
>David Ilvedson, RPT
>Pacifica, CA  94044

Oh David,
As everyone knows, size isn't everything when it comes to describing
tuning lever tips. (You're basically right though. #2 could be
considered a good all-around). I don't think all tuning pins of a
particular size necessarily share the same head geometry.  My, as yet
un-upgraded default tuning hammer set up is like Michelle's...extra
short head (15 degree angle) with #3 tip.  I carry a 2"(?) head and
extra tips #2 and #4. In my roughly 30 years at this, I don't think I
would need to take off the other shoe to count the number of times I
would have used a #1 tip.

I've not done my own study, nor located one that examines the
congruence of tips and tuning pins, however, I'm sure it's more than
just my experience that good tip fit can be a compromise situation,
unless you are working with one type of pin and find a tip that fits
that pin.  My sense is that, as Michelle says, the larger tip sits
relatively lower on the pin (ah like) but doesn't hang up when
removing to next pin.

I would love to know what the ideal, or range of ideal relationships
between tip and pin would look like.  It seems likely that too
perfect a fit would be undesirable in that it would function like a
machine taper and be difficult to separate.   Can anyone point to
existing literature on the subject or offer their own knowledge on
the subject of pin and tip manufacture?

David Skolnik
Urtext edition. No emoticons employed.