[CAUT] RE : Tuning Hammer tip sizes, was Re: huge pitch raise question

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Jan 12 10:40:52 MST 2007

> I've talked to them at Schaff and written letters and their response is
> that the pins are to blame.

I didn't realize that Schaff and Steinway were owned by the
same people.

  > I hear the Wattanabe tips fit better, but so far I haven't
needed to
> spend the twice as much money to find out.  Back when we had 3 domestic
> manufacturers making tuning tips, we didn't have to pay 2 prices to
> import quality.

The current choices in more categories all the time seem to be
to pay the "standard" price for domestically produced, and
learn to like surprises, or pay either double (or half) and
get imports. A couple of unpleasant surprises in a row makes
paying double for dependable reproducible quality look like a
pretty good deal. With folks paying what seems to me like
amazingly high prices for custom tuning hammers, and multiples
thereof at that, a few extra bucks for your personal interface
with the pin seems like a better return on investment to me. A
better tip makes the old hammer work better. Try a Wattanabe.
I think you'll like it.

> Also, when you have a better fit, the tips don't wear out.

The do, but it takes a looooonnnnnggggggg time.
Ron N