[CAUT] link to young paper

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jan 17 01:39:10 MST 2007

Hi Fred

Thanks for the comments.  I realize this isnt everyones bag :), and a
few of those whome it is are a bit hedgy about whome they share
information with. I suppose thats natural enough.  Inharmonicity in bass
strings was not something Young resolved, tho side by side comparisons
of his formula with that of Miller and Fletcher for plain strings
compare favorably.

I'm still stuck wondering about this Youngs Modulus : String Density
relationship and I sure wish I could get some feedback out in the world
as to how the discrepancy between given values and the resultant
constant the relationship give is all about.

Perhaps its that the measurements for each are inaccurate enough
individually that taken together they can yield a rather large error.
In which case taking the most dependable measurement (whichever that one
is) and calculating the other would be preferable as a rule I suppose.
One other thing I've pondered is whether or not the Density of a string
changes with tension. My intuition would tell me it probably would
somewhat. How much and whether it would effect the outcome of the
relationship Q/p = 25.5*10^10th or not is another question. :)

All this is <<needed>> if you are going to write a spreadsheet for
string scaling data.  That is to say if you are not going to just copy
other peoples work and want to make sure you understand each formula
every step of the way.  A great exercise for anyone interested.

Anyways... still hoping for a resolve on this Q/p thing.  Its kinda
necessary  to be able to deal with different core /plain string materials.

Cheers
RicB

    Hi Ric,
        Very interesting to read the original paper. Thanks for finding
    it.
    It is also interesting that all of this work was done on the basis of
    measurements made with a Conn Stroboscope. I wonder if additional
    work has been done with more refined measuring devices, and, if so,
    if the results have been the same.
        The figures (as in charts/diagrams) referred to in the article
    don't
    appear in the link Ric gave. The original article (including the
    figures) can be seen in pdf via http://scitation.aip.org/jasa/ (The
    Journal of the Acoustical Society of America - search Young (author),
    Inharmonicity (keyword title/abstract).
        There are the usual scattershot results in Young's research, which
    he "resolves" to neat curves, as seen in those figures. As a
    practical technician, I often find that there seem to be strange
    anomalies in inharmonicity, and often separate measurements of the
    same string will vary markedly, in my experience and that of others
    (Dean Reyburn talks about "false" inharmonic ladders - I forget his
    term for them). All those formulae make it seem that pianos are more
    predictable than they are.
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico