[CAUT] Re. Link to Young Paper

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jan 19 16:58:52 MST 2007

On 1/18/07 1:29 PM, "RicB" <ricb at pianostemmer.no> wrote:

> Thomas Young demands that  Q/p = 25.5*10^10
>
> Look up various specs for steel wire around the net for Youngs modulus
> and density of piano wire... plug in the values and check it out.  To
> begin with there is a large variation of specs for the Youngs Modulus...
> yet virtually everyone agrees that density is about 7.85 g/cm^3.  By the
> book then... if density is indeed 7.85... then Youngs modulus should
> work out to close to 2.00175 * 10^12.
>
> I'd love to hear an explanation about why theory and  <<measured>> specs
> seem soooo far off from each other, and what to do about it when
> thinking about designing scales.
Hi Ric,
    These formulae are not something I have studied, and this kind of math
is not one of my strong points. But this is disturbing stuff. A major
difference of value for a constant makes calculation useless. I'm not
entirely sure of your symbols. Is  [* 10^12] [times ten to the 12th power]?
In which case we're talking around a factor of 10 as the difference. Wow!
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico