[CAUT] Inharmonicity, "Link to Young Paper"

Stephen Birkett sbirkett at real.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Jan 22 06:33:50 MST 2007

>I came across a very interesting review of a new book about Thomas
>Young in the Guardian today, "The Last Man Who Knew Everything"
>which may be of interest...
><http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1993741,00.html>http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,1993741,00.html

Lest anyone be confused, Thomas Young (1773-1829) is not the author
of the inharmonicity paper which is being discussed here. That is
Robert W. Young (1908- ), who was still living at least as recently
as 1995. The latter was a twentieth century physicist who specialized
in musical acoustics, and was the editor of that section of the JASA
for many years. He worked for GC Conn early in his career and was
co-inventor of the Conn stroboscope, along with Hugo Shuck, with whom
he wrote an earlier article on inharmonicity than the 1952 article
being discussed here. The invention of this device is probably the
reason he was able to investigate inharmonicity quantitatively at the
time he did.

Stephen
--
Stephen Birkett