[CAUT] Measuring FAC (was Re: Re. Link to Young Paper)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jan 23 07:48:29 MST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 4:31 PM, Porritt, David wrote:

> Fred:
>

> I no longer have an SAT.  I’ve found TuneLab to be easier to
> measure as it’s semi-automatic.  It needs 4 notes I use 6.  It does
> a good job.  Still, I tune from F3 – C8 checking things along the
> way.  When I tune from E3 – A0 I turn off TuneLab when I get to the
> wrapped strings.  I’m much more interested in smooth octaves than
> compliance to a particular octave size (6:3, 8:4 whatever) or
> smooth progression of beat rates.  It also helps battery life!
>

> dave
>

> David M. Porritt
>
> dporritt at smu.edu
Hi Dave,
	I still have my SAT as backup, but use RCT. It fits my personality
better <g>.
	As to octaves, I think we tend to give too much emphasis to the
sound of the individual octave, rather than focusing on the sound of
the whole piano. I find that emphasizing wider intervals, like 12ths,
19ths, and double/triple octaves, gives an overall sound I prefer.
The individual octaves are sized to fit within the larger intervals.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu