[CAUT] S&S Hearing Aids!?

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Thu Jan 25 08:57:43 MST 2007

On Jan 22, 2007, at 5:06 PM, Willem Blees wrote:

> That's because we're not in that economic stratus. If we had the kind
> of money some of these people have, we'd think those items are right
> up our ally. :)
>
> Wim

Exactly, Wim.

We must remember that we are the beneficiary of that lifestyle.  We
live on the crumbs of those in that economic status, moreso today
than in years past.  Gluttony has always been a pursuit of the
wealthy and the arts are a part of that gluttony.  Who else is paying
to support the high arts?  The only reason we are able to exist today
is because high art is and always has been seen as a part of the
lifestyle of nobility and the upper crust.

(It's also a pretty dang good tax deduction)

Face it.  Look through the audience at your next school event.  Who
do you see?  The wealthy and the students who are required to be
there for class credit.  Classical music doesn't exactly appeal to
your average middle and lower income concert goer.  99% of our
concerts are free to the public and we can't even fill the seats.

For the most part, schools which become All-Steinway schools are not
buying Steinways with their own money.  Steinway dealers go out and
find donors who can use a tax deduction and that is where much of the
funding for supplying instruments to colleges is coming from today.
State governments certainly aren't budgeting for it.

Steinway's strategy of putting its name on other products and
publishing this magazine is merely to keep its name in front of the
elite, maintaining its status with potential donors, so that when it
is time for that donor to fork out that donation for the school of
music, Steinway is the only donation they consider worthy.  It is
brilliant, actually.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina
(Bachelor of Business Administration, 1993, University of Georgia)