[CAUT] String-breakage resolution

Cramer, Mark Cramer at BrandonU.CA
Mon Jan 29 09:23:00 MST 2007

Thanks Ron & Ron and others,

you've saved me a needless experiment.

As for reducing string breakage, these KG's were typically set up for about 10.5/46mm. We tend to have them at a skinny 10mm dip (or a fat 9.5, depending how you measure ;>) which means blow distance is already reduced to about 42mm.

Wouldn't increasing let-off to 3mm be a better prevention?

I'm more than a bit conflicted (call Dr. Phil?) about doing this however, having Fred's description of the practice studio... "where students learn to play with subtlety and nuance," permanently posted over my desk.

Anyone out there setting let-off a wee bit on the "safe" side... want to spill?

thanks,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS Yes Ron, the Wapin experiment from a subjective viewpoint was a surprising success. I've committed to 4 more installations (now in various stages) with every expectation of similar results.