[CAUT] Disinfecting Keys

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Jan 30 09:52:30 MST 2007

On Jan 30, 2007, at 9:59 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:

>>> Or not. The primary reason I carry masking tape in my tool kit is
>>> for taping up split fingers. I use it for other things too, but
>>> most of it goes on my digital appendages. The pianist may just
>>> have the same brand of dry delaminating rhinoceros hide
>>> fingertips I do.
>>> Ron N
>> Sounds to me maybe like somebody avoids the water fountain at all
>> costs?
>> Jeff Tanner, RPT
>

> Does this mean something? Pretend I understand the language, but
> don't get the inside joke, and explain it to me please.
> Ron N

I assumed you were probably correct that the student's skin split
from being dry.

I think most people, including myself, tend to not drink enough
water, particularly at this time of year.  The skin is moisturized
from the inside out.  Skin creams don't add moisture, they work more
as a sealing agent to prevent moisture evaporation from the skin into
the air.  But if we're not getting enough water, they don't actually
do much.

I discovered for myself that the daily recommendation for water (8
glasses), isn't enough, especially during winter.  For me,
insufficient hydration also leads to back muscle spasms.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina