[CAUT] Steinway D elevations

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Sun Jul 1 17:57:54 MDT 2007

Great post Jon, sorry to snip for my own purposes, nonetheless;

a number of years ago I discovered the old vertical action cradle would hold
a grand stack nicely by the feet. I started swinging-off the hammer-flange
centers and recording the number of swings as a matter of course on  EVERY
recondition/regulation job.

It was nice to know, beyond obvious side-play issues, what exactly was going
on in there.

Then like other "new" discoveries, this habit fell by the wayside, but only
for awhile.

Again, it is so valuable to know what the relative frictions are, and such a
quick test to perform before any regulation. Main reason being, that the
range of adjustment on a rep spring is large enough to disguise any number
of problems:

It is sufficient to cause the uneven tension at let-off you describe... (and
how would you know, if all hammers seem to rise at the same speed) and even
the Catastrophic Action Failure discussed a few weeks ago.

This is a bit simpler than the excellent bedrock-wisdom parts-replacement
advice you were sharing, but equally important to those who care enough to
do good work at "all" levels.

O/T: Tonight we celebrate Canada Day with my son's Phunk band on mainstage,
followed by as much fireworks as the City of Brandon's meager coffers can
afford.

In advance, "Happy July 4th" to our American friends!!

Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

For touch sensation alone, graduating the Strike Weight is essential.
Varying SW's will require varying rep spring tensions. This is felt as
the resistance at the point of let off. The closer each adjacent SW is
in weight, the more even will be the tension on the rep lever at let off.

I could go on...
--

Regards,

Jon Page