[CAUT] Selecting a new B

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Mon Jul 2 21:34:45 MDT 2007

Dave
Check string height above the keybed, 7&3/4" +/- 1/8th at note
66  (if it is 7&7/8" it really is too tall, I'd much prefer
7&5/8")!  Check for over-striking, extra space between shanks and
felts.  If a bunch of drop screws are broken off at their highest
setting that's a dead give-away.  Go to the next piano; doesn't
matter how it sounds if it can't be regulated.  Steinway is barely
admitting that the problem exists and you don't want to be caught in
the middle between them and the customer over their QC problem DAMHIK.

If it sounds terrible in the store, get them to fix it there.  If the
key ratio is way off and the stack is standing on skyscapers
run.  Same problem above fixed the "Steinway Way".

Be prepared not to find the right piano at the dealership and to ask
about more/other pianos.

Good Luck,
Andrew Anderson