[CAUT] Instrument cases (was Re: checking)

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 09:55:06 MDT 2007

Hi, Paul -

A few years back I had a custom hard case made for a clavichord.  The
industry leader is Anvil Cases,
(800) 359-2684.  Their cases are terrific and will really stand all  kinds of
rough treatment.  The case I ordered for the clavichord was from  Aarmor
Case, 2100 Lapo, Lake Odessa, MI 48849; very similar to Anvil and a  little less
expensive.  I'm sure you could look either of them up on the  'net, and others,
too.  Probably search on "A.T.A. case".    A.T.A. is the Air Transport
Association; their specs provide high quality  protection.

Issues you'll need to consider:

-  The case will add some size and weight.

-  You can design the case for moving the instrument on its  side.  Such
cases I've seen (for grand pianos) have as a base what is  essentially a skid
board.  After the instrument is on the board/case  bottom, the rest of the case is
put in position and latched in place.   (Some of the case makers have
experience with this style case and may even have  something in their stock series;
but if they do, probably the dimensions will be  for grand pianos and you'll
need to specify for your instrument.)

-  If the instrument is light enough, you can arrange things 'casket  style'
so you lower it in to sit on its belly.  In this case you need to  design
protection for any trapwork.

-  Consider what to do with the legs, or stand, and chair/bench if  any.  Can
be simpler to have a separate case for them; and reduces size and  weight of
main case.

Good luck!  Please post a photo or two when you get your solution  worked out.

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations
VermontPiano.com

346 Camp  Street