[CAUT] Key bottoms (was Re: key-easing pliers?)

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Thu Jul 26 11:46:54 MDT 2007

Fred,

One difference/question I have is - isn't it easier to insert the proper
sizing cauls, then turn the set upside down and insert the BR pins (the
cauls won't let the pins fall through), then add sizing fluid? After
they dry, ream the mortise so the "foot" of the hole is the exact
thickness. Replace them on the Keyframe to check BR fit and fix pulley
keys. Many times pulley keys are no longer an issue with the glue sizing
formula. BTW I use a much diluted (12/1 or so) Elmer's glue for sizing.
Ron N. tells me that this is the only place on a piano where he uses
that glue. (Thanks Ron) There is no sound, click, etc. with Elmer's glue
as there is with PVCE, Hot Hide, and or other glues.

Baldassin taught me to add this extra step (it really doesn't take long)
of placing the keys back on the frame BEFORE the bushings are in so that
you can work the BR holes w/o "false readings" from overly tight new
bushings. It takes about 10 - 15 minutes longer but the total focus on
the BR hole pays big dividends, IMO. Here is when I deal with the pulley
keys because now you're sure of which ones weren't fixed by the glue
sizing.

Anyway, just a bit more to consider for your book... Who knows?
Marriott's success, he said, was to "write out every tiny process and
revise it in writing until nothing more could be perfected, then get all
your employees to do it THAT way."

(I vote for you to write that book, sometime before your beard is
entirely gray?? You and Ron. Oh well, Ron...))

High regards,

Jim