[CAUT] Key bottoms

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Fri Jul 27 10:59:56 MDT 2007

Hi Barbara,

we had an older Yamaha G-2 with balance-holes ovaled fore & aft to nearly
twice the size of the rail pin. (!?)

Some keys literally had an 1/8th inch of pulley, making it difficult in some
cases to determine where the original hole-center was.

Obviously this isn't normal wear and tear. ( I'm guessing someone forgot to
read the fine print on their new easing tool)

Nonetheless, we used Bill's method (PT Journal; May 1990) during the course
of rebuilding the action; fall of 2005,  and the keys continue to fit and
work beautifully.

There was a fair amount of alignment needed with the initial fitting, but
I'm guessing this was more my inexperience than the method itself.

best regards,
Mark Cramer,
Brandon University

PS Floyd is back here in Manitoba, Barbara. He's just applied for membership
to the MB Chapter, and is helping access/repair vertical practice pianos.
He's intent on completing the exam series, and I'm glad to have his help in
the shop.

  I can see that this method would be better and more stable than squishing
wood.  Is there anyone with experience with it from the Far North, Midwest
or Northeast where we go through <huge> seasonal swings in humidity levels?

  Thanks.

  Barbara Richmond
  on the way out the door to pick up a S&S B action w/key bottom trouble