[CAUT] Fixing/Updating an old keyframe

Andrew Anderson andrew at andersonmusic.com
Sun Jul 29 10:41:39 MDT 2007

A couple years back I bought an Everett concert grand sight unseen
and sent it to SAMA for repairs and refinishing to be recommended by
my late mentor Guy Nichols.  I eventually got the piano into our
studio before Christmas of 2006.

The serial number on the piano would suggest a manufacture date circa
1900.  The action is stamped with 1942 which I presume is when the
action was updated to include sostenuto (looks kind of jury rigged)
and probably the latest WNG whipps.  I had the action re-felted with
new centers and it works fairly well.  The new Ronson Wurzen triple A
hammers on Tokiwa shanks and flanges have played in nicely with no
doping.  If the piano was onstage in a larger venue I might want a
little more bite in the bass and high treble but it sounds great
where it is.  The Arledge scale and bass strings sound great.   (In
fact we have a cotton mattress against the wall and under the piano
to tame it a little).

My wife is beginning to enjoy it (among the four other fine grands we
have in the studio) and wants the action fine-regulated.  The action
frame was something of a weather yo-yo until I put on a full DC
system and an Edwards cover.  This seems to have tamed it enough that
it can be worked with.  The frame is flat on the bottom; no
adjustment glides in the middle. no lip left for sanding on any
rail.  There is a little room and I am considering -gluing on 0.5"
wide 1/16" veneer strips to give me something to sand and finally bed
this keyframe.  It looks like the endblocks are supposed to pinch the
frame down a little.  They don't really get that tight.

What kind of issues should I look for to avoid or work with?

Is it worth countersinking and installing glides?

Sincerely,
Andrew Anderson, Artisan Piano