[CAUT] Position, Assistant, Frost SOM at U. of Miami

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Jul 30 13:21:26 MDT 2007

On Jul 30, 2007, at 11:34 AM, A440A at aol.com wrote:

> Perhaps demographics are starting to kick in? Too big a percentage of
> techs I know seem to be about 60, like I am.
> Where are the young people?

It is impossible for young people who are raising families to live on
the same salaries as "more experienced" techs who no longer have
children at home (or may never have).  Some of these jobs look really
attractive with all the benefits and annual salary figures until you
actually start receiving the net check.  It would take over $85K for
me to support my family at the same level my blue collar father
supported his.  So, my generation became accustomed to a certain
standard of living.  One paycheck from a good job would cover a
decent home, two cars, and save for kids' college education and
retirement.  $40K-$50K today won't do that.

If I were single, nearer to retirement age, or had some plaguing
illness I couldn't otherwise get health insurance for, these jobs
might look attractive.  But as a husband and father, I'm looking hard
to find a way out of mine.

> Greetings,
>    It may be the demographics, but I wonder if there isn't
> something else going on.  Could it be that the majority of those
> interested in piano work have found that with the purchase of an
> ETD, they can go out an begin making money almost instantly?  I
> have seen several localities in which the experienced tech has had
> their tuning business drastically cut by novices with machines.

As far as that goes, it doesn't take a machine to make a piano
tuner.  Even aural tuning is the easy part of this business.  A
tuning hammer, fork and mutes are pretty cheap investments.  Our
cheap tuners are aural tuners in this area.  Machine tuners are all
RPTs and charge more.  The Potter course is about the same price as a
new SAT III, and unfortunately, you don't have to get all your
assignments graded once you buy it.  Randy has been touting the
students to get a mentor to help with the assignments.  I've seen a
few of his students buy the course and use mentors to get them
through the whole thing without ever sending in an assignment.
Problem is, the mentor might not be much of a tuner either.

>    The loss of the "bread and butter" business has perhaps lessened
> the percentage of piano techs that can do all the maintenance
> required of pianos.  This is a dangerous direction, if so. Without
> the advanced skills, (as in , everything beyond tuning and band-aid
> patch jobs), the piano public is going to suffer.

This is nothing new in my neck of the woods.  In fact, skilled techs
can be perceived as high falutant unless you have a really good
personality.  We've all heard "you know, she's not going to be a
concert pianist."  People really just want the piano tuned for the
cheapest price.  Goes right along with the kind of pianos that are on
the market today.

The reason these positions are open is 1. salaries are much too low,
2. job descriptions more often than not reveal that CAUTs are
expected to work unusual hours, and that is a job requirement that is
not friendly to either family or moonlighting.  Unusual,
unpredictable hours is usually a real turn off unless the money is
really good. 3. expected skill levels are over exaggerated and scare
off legitimate would be applicants, just like the RPT exams do.  Even
Ron Nossaman commented he was not qualified for the New England
Conservatory job as it was described.

Jeff

> Regards,
>

> Ed Foote RPT