[CAUT] Bushing cloth thickness

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jul 31 11:15:26 MDT 2007

	Spurlock's sizing cauls for .146" are .227", #1 caul is .185", and
final #2 is .149" (at least that's what mine measure. Bill could have
changed his specs since I bought mine). This means that there is a
total of .081" to make up between sizing and the pin size itself, and
a little less to allow for "frictionless" movement. Interestingly
there is .042" between sizing and #1, but only .036" between #1 and
#2. I'm not sure what Bill had in mind (yes, I know, I should ask him
<G>), but suspect he was thinking in terms of .045" or so felt, and
that the gap between #1 and #2 would be smaller allowing for the
compression of the first layer of felt in the clamping process (the
#1 clamp has wood on one side, #2 has felt on both).
	Me, I use mostly BU-6 and BU-3 from Pianotek, which measure .038
and .043 using my micrometer with its friction brake (.043" only when
the mortise is larger than the sizing cauls). I find a very loose fit
with the caul gives the best long term results. As I mentioned some
time ago, I'd druther have #1 be .190 or so, to hold the felt a
little firmer for cutting purposes. And I added a layer or two of
scotch tape or other tape to some to experiment, and considered
asking Bill to make me up some custom ones. But I get by just fine
the way I do it now, so it's a low priority.
	Ed, I wonder at your using spring clamps, but saying you don't want
heavy clamping pressure. Seems like that's a contradiction, but maybe
I don't know what you mean by spring clamps. The cauls only apply
pressure to the extent they are wider than the gap between the
mortise and the felt size plus a bit of glue. Very little to none in
my technique. The caul mostly just holds the felt in place while the
glue dries. I have had no problem with felts falling out, so I assume
this is all the clamping needed. I also iron all the bushings briefly
(1 to 2 seconds tops), which probably helps with "grab" a bit. The
short time doesn't allow the glue to become liquid enough to
penetrate the cloth much.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico